[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Feb 5 14:59:14 CET 2014

On Wed, 05.02.14 06:56, Andrey Borzenkov (arvidjaar at gmail.com) wrote:

> > already problem enough that we pretend we allow ExecReload= to be
> > asynchronous like that... It's a question of allowing bad code
> > through...
>
> I do not suggest "send it a singnal and pray for it". You send a signal
> (or whatever) and wait for MAINPID to exit. MAINPID is *the* service for
> systemd. Service exists while it runs; service is stopped when it
> exits. I do not understand what is bad about it, sorry.

Well, it's about sending signals, then we do that for people anyway...

I mean, either people use the standard way to shut down daemons by
sending SIGTERM, and then we'll do all for them, they need no
configuration at all. Or they have some complex interfacing in place,
but then we should be able to assume that it is synchronous. But the
middle place of something where they shut down things asynchronously but
in a non-standard way sounds really off to me...