[systemd-devel] /run needs to be mounted? ugh.

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Feb 11 07:32:56 PST 2014

Hey folks,

I'm using better-initramfs [1], a very small and minimal initrd that
has been working very well for me. In switching to systemd, I found it
necessary to have the initrd mount "/run" as tmpfs, according to the
specs [2]. I made a little patch for better-initramfs, and now I'm
talking to the maintainer about merging that.

But really... I don't want to do this. Why is systemd itself not
capable of setting up /run? Why does the initrd need to do it? My
experience booting without /run is that systemd then fails to start
completely. Is this what's supposed to happen? What's going on?
Preferably, I don't desire to place any additional systemd-specific
burden on better-initramfs.

Thanks,
Jason

[1] https://github.com/slashbeast/better-initramfs