[systemd-devel] /run needs to be mounted? ugh.

Jason A. Donenfeld Jason at zx2c4.com
Tue Feb 11 09:08:59 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Lennart Poettering
<lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> An initrd without /run is mostly pointless, no? Either you have storage
> daemons and hence need /run around, or you don't have storage daemons,
> in which case you can just boot without involving any initrd?

In my use of an initrd, I just use cryptsetup, which AFAIK, isn't a
storage daemon but rather reads the LUKS header, determines the key,
and calls the ioctl to get it mapped. In this case, all the 'state'
remains in the kernel, and thus doesn't require /run.