[systemd-devel] threads and cgroups

Allmeroth, Robert robert.allmeroth at harman.com
Wed Feb 12 02:28:29 PST 2014

Hi,

I read a lot about the new cgroup concept of the kernel/systemd.
I understand the logic behind it and why systemd wants to be the MCP of it.
But I miss information how threads are handled.

Example:
Due to performance reasons we arrange components with various profiles into one executable.
Assume a splash-animation on startup, audio-management, CAN, key input etc. Some of them should be
protected by a realtime cgroup - others not.

Right now we are able to put the whole unit/process into one cgroup with systemd mechanisms (I like the slice concept :))
Named threads can be handled by extra tooling, e.g. invoked via ExecStartPost, managing the threads/cgroups directly

Problems will arise if manual management is impossible in future implementations.
Is there a systemd concept if and/or how threads living inside of processes can be assigned to separate cgroups?

Best regards
  Robert

PS: resources I used:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/ControlGroupInterface/