[systemd-devel] Impossible to autologin on tty1 on Fedora 20

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Thu Feb 13 19:26:27 PST 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 9:17 AM, Federico Carotenuto
<pooka_85 at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Kind Systemd mailing list,
>
> I'm currently facing lots of problems in setting up autologin on a minimal
> install (no xserver) of Fedora 20: up until now I followed the guide at this
> link
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Systemd#How_do_I_set_automatic_login_on_a_virtual_console_terminal.3F
>
> with only these main differences:
>
> 1. - the symbolic link replaced the original getty at tty1.service (single user
> system, logging always on tty1, it's a computer for scientific purposes).
> 2. - consequently I changed also the Alias to reflect the change at point 1
> 3. - the user that needs to autologin is root so the syntax for autoexec I
> used is: "-sbin/agetty --autologin root %I"
> 4. - restart was set to yes since it has to happen at every boot.
>
> The system keeps ignoring all of this and prompts me a login mask at
> boot...where did I go wrong?

The ExecStart directive expects an absolute path to the
executable---refer to systemd.service(5). In your email, you are
missing the leading "/" between the "-" and "sbin/agetty".

Providing a pastebin of your autologin service file, the "ln" command
you used, and the output of "systemctl status autologin at tty1" (or
whatever you named your service file) would be very helpful in
troubleshooting this.

Also, please send plaintext-only emails to this list (i.e. no
HTML-based emails).

Jason