[systemd-devel] needed steps to get rebootless upgrade

Vasiliy Tolstov v.tolstov at selfip.ru
Mon Feb 17 12:01:19 PST 2014

> If we stretch the definition of 'reboot' a bit, would it be possible to shutdown, jump back into the initramfs, do the updates and jump to the main rootfs again? It assumes you have an initramfs and all your apps will close, but the machine doesn't reboot :)
>
> regards,

Point to not reboot - bring up system faster. In case of pxe i get
10-15 sec bios, 5 sec - get ip from dhcp server and get kernel and
minimal initrd, 10 sec to download full squashfs (debian-live),
1min-3min - chef-solo on image to configure.
If i get to ramfs and get back - i can save about 2-5 min to get working system.

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tolstov at selfip.ru
jabber: vase at selfip.ru