[systemd-devel] Problems with systemd-coredump

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Feb 18 02:05:48 PST 2014

Am 17.02.2014 21:27, schrieb Manuel Reimer:
> As soon as a bigger coredump (about 500 MB) is to be stored, the whole
> system slows down significantly. Seems like storing such big amounts of
> data takes pretty long and is a very CPU hungry process...

I completely agree. Since the kernel ignores the maximum coredump size
when core_pattern is used, a significant amount of time passes whenever
a larger process crashes, with no benefit (since the dump never gets
saved anywhere).

This is extremely annoying if processes with sizes in the tens or
hundreds of gigabytes crash, which sadly happened to me quite a few
times recently.