[systemd-devel] [HEADS-UP] It's release time!

Uoti Urpala uoti.urpala at pp1.inet.fi
Wed Feb 19 15:21:01 PST 2014

On Wed, 2014-02-19 at 17:53 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Zbigniew suggest we should drop -Wdeclaration-after-statement. I am not
> convinced that that would be a good idea since generally declarations
> after statements are an abomination, and we should avoid them, and it is
> nice if gcc warns about that.

Even if there can be reasonable style disagreements about exactly where
to use mixed declarations, at least some uses of them are certainly
beneficial. It's only a matter of getting used to reading them if you've
only read old-style code before. I'm sure that if C had had mixed
declarations from the beginning, nobody would come up with a coding
style which declared that particular feature to be harmful.

Given systemd's approach to features, I think it's pretty ironic if its
coding style has a "you can't expect me to get used to new features"
attitude to something that's been used for more than a decade.

BTW I looked at the CODING_STYLE file and there's a factual error:
'Processors speak "double" natively anyway' is not true for SSE math,
which is normally used for all math operations on AMD64. SSE has
separate operations for floats and doubles, and doubles can be slower.