[systemd-devel] Starting CUPS very late on a desktop and non-server system

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Feb 20 14:18:03 PST 2014

Dear systemd folks,

after Debian’s CTTE chose systemd as the default init system for the
next Debian release, I installed it on one of the systems.

Looking at the output `systemd-analyze plot`, I noticed that CUPS takes
700 ms to start and as this is a desktop system where not a lot is
printed and when, then only after the user has logged in, I wonder how
that can be dealt with systemd. Like starting it only after user login?
Or is that something which is not nicely doable because CUPS runs as a
system daemon?

Thanks,

Paul