[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd on by default?

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Feb 21 07:44:43 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Reindl Harald at 21/02/14 08:45 did gyre and gimble:

> Am 21.02.2014 04:41, schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 04:00:10AM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>>> systemd-networkd seems to get started by default in 209. Why is this?
>>> What if I don't want to use it to manage my networks? Why does it have
>>> to be on by default?
>>
>> I think the reasoning was that it doesn't do anything by default (when
>> there are no configuration files)
>
> that is a bad reasoning
>
> not a single process should be running if it has no job to do
> for the sake of ressource usage, security and clean systems

Well I kinda get that using it for containers and such like could be
useful, but I also suspect it should be bus or socket activated rather
than statically enabled... like localed, datetimed etc. Any reason to
enable it statically? (I guess it maybe has to do stuff by itself, but I
would figure udev should kick it in via the setup link built in in most
cases - but I guess that wouldn't work inside containers, so perhaps
this is where things break down and you need it statically enabled).

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie