[systemd-devel] Docker, Supervisor and systemd

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 21 10:39:55 PST 2014

On Thu, 20.02.14 23:25, Paul Menzel (paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net) wrote:

> Dear systemd folks,
>

> Docker, “an open-source project to easily create lightweight, portable,
> self-sufficient containers from any application”, [1] mostly recommends
> to use Supervisor [2] to control the processes to be run in the
> container, like starting and restarting them and logging the output.
> Actually all things systemd also does to my knowledge. Supervisor also
> needs a configuration file for each process, which it should start.
>
> Has somebody experiences to use systemd for that? Or is there a reason
> why systemd should not be used for that?

systemd should work fine for that. I figure systemd is not yet
everywhere hence they suggest an option you can install everywhere...

I had a look at the configuration file language of supervisord. THere
appears to be nothing interesting we couldn't do already. I mean, there
are certain differences, for example they have an XMLRPC API, while ours
is via D-Bus, but other than that I don't see much... They have some
fcgi hookup, but I don't grok that, and I figure we already can do kinda
the same with socket activation, but dunno...