[systemd-devel] Unmentioned 209 change: 80-net-name-slot.rules is gone

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sun Feb 23 07:55:47 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Tom Gundersen at 23/02/14 14:33 did gyre and gimble:
> On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 05:12:56PM +0100, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
>>> To clarify things:
>>>
>>> 1. Arch's script deals with 80-net-setup-link.rules
>>
>> We (Arch) made a decision back when the persistent naming was added to
>> make it opt-in by masking 80-net-name-slot.rules in /etc. Now, if the
>> 209 upgrade comes around and 80-net-name-slot.rules still exists in
>> /etc, we just rename it. We make no assumptions about the contents of
>> that file. If the user added their own naming rules to that file, we
>> have absolutely no surefire way of determining what the net effect of
>> those rules are, and what they might translate to, functionally, in
>> 99-default.link.
>>
>>> 2. freedesktop.org wiki followed suit and added that suggestion
>>> 3. Others have said elsewhere that the proper way to do this is
>>> actually to override 99-default.link instead.
>>> 4. Gentoo went with number 3.
>>>
>>> Now:
>>>
>>> 5. Can numbers 1 and 2 update to the suggestion of 3?
>>
>> So, no, 1 won't be changed. Comparing a post_upgrade action to a wiki
>> page is an odd choice, anyways.
>
> Yeah, I agree with Dave here. What the Arch post-upgrade script does
> is "preserve the current behavior, whatever it is" without manual
> intervention, whereas the wiki should teach the admin how they would
> best manually get the behavior they want.

Yup, seems sensible. A minor improvement could be to check if the file
exists and is a symlink to /dev/null. If that is the case then the
"default disabling" configuration could be applied instead of the blind
rename, but really this should be OK for 99.9% of users as is.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie