[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 210

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Feb 24 17:35:40 PST 2014

On Mon, 24.02.14 16:30, David Timothy Strauss (david at davidstrauss.net) wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 2:08 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
> > logind is now a lot more aggressive when suspending the
> >           machine due to a closed laptop lid. Instead of acting only
> >           on the lid close action it will continuously watch the lid
> >           status and act on it. This is useful for laptops where the
> >           power button is on the outside of the chassis so that it can
> >           be reached without opening the lid (such as the Lenovo
> >           Yoga). On those machines logind will now immediately
> >           re-suspend the machine if the power button has been
> >           accidentally pressed while the laptop was suspended and in a
> >           backpack or similar.
>
> What about being able to run laptops lid-closed as long as there's an
> external display and input device? I don't personally do this, but I'm
> curious how widely it might be needed.

What we'll probably do is two things:

1) Enumerate connected displays in logind from sysfs and inhibit lid
   close suspends if a number != 1 is found.

2) Avoid suspend due to lid close for 1min after the last suspend and
   3min after boot or so.

Thing #1 has been traditionally done by GNOME which took an inhibitor
lock when it detected multiple connected displays. We probably should
move this one layer down into logind to open this up for other DEs and
more importantly to close the race where GNOME would be started after
logind which means the inhibitor lock GNOME could take would be too late
to make sure logind doesn't already suspend due to the lid closed.

Thing #2 is then necessary to cover for USB docking stations for which
we simply never know when they fully reappear after a supend or at boot,
since that's unbounded on USB. Of course this rule #2 isn't that great
on my own Yoga laptop, since it means if I by accident power on the
laptop in my backpack it will only resuspend after 1min instead of
instantly... But I figure that's the price to pay for being general
purpose.

Those two items are now on the TODO list.