[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 210

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Feb 25 05:05:34 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 24/02/14 22:08 did gyre and gimble:
>         * systemd will now understand the usual M, K, G, T suffixes
>           according to SI conventions (i.e. to the base 1000) when
>           referring to throughput and hardware metrics. It will stay
>           with IEC conventions (i.e. to the base 1024) for software
>           metrics, according to what is customary according to
>           Wikipedia. We explicitly document which base applies for
>           each configuration option.

It would seem to me that use of upper and lower case suffixes is fairly
wide-spread (at least in my head) for choosing which base (1000 vs
1024). Of course I can't remember which is which, but perhaps using this
approach would actually be better - and default values can just use
whichever letter-case they deem appropriate for the use-case.

I guess what I mean to say is that a general rule is easier to grok than
a per-directive rule, although I may have missed some important
subtleties and back discussion here.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie