[systemd-devel] [ANNOUNCE] systemd 210

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Tue Feb 25 07:41:26 PST 2014

On Tue, Feb 25, 2014 at 4:32 PM, Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at inai.de> wrote:
> On Monday 2014-02-24 23:08, Lennart Poettering wrote:
>>
>>CHANGES WITH 210:
>>
>>        * logind is now a lot more aggressive when suspending the
>>          machine due to a closed laptop lid. Instead of acting only
>>          on the lid close action it will continuously watch the lid
>>          status and act on it. This is useful for laptops where the
>>          power button is on the outside of the chassis so that it can
>>          be reached without opening the lid (such as the Lenovo
>>          Yoga). On those machines logind will now immediately
>>          re-suspend the machine if the power button has been
>>          accidentally pressed while the laptop was suspended and in a
>>          backpack or similar.
>
> Interesting. I have some medium-aged Sony VPCM11M1E which too has a
> power button (more like a *slider*) that could be said to be prone to
> activation; however, the machine will not react to the slider or keypress
> while the lid is closed, which is a good thing.
>
> Am I correct in the assumption that your Yoga machines are not
> as "smart" and thus desired this change? :)

Normal button, just switches the box on. Might be, that this is even a
"feature", that the power button works, so it can be used with the USB
docking stations and the closed lid.

>>       Also note that this
>>          logic is usually not fully sufficient and Desktop
>>          Environments should take a lid switch inhibitor lock when an
>>          external display is connected, as systemd will not watch
>>          this on its own.
>
> Does logind handle the case of {textconsole environment with
> external display and usbkbd}?

The difference between text and graphic will not be interesting in the
future. All consoles will be "graphic", just don't look like it.

Kay