[systemd-devel] Starting CUPS very late on a desktop and non-server system

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Feb 25 14:11:57 PST 2014

Dear Michael,

thank you for your answer.

Am Freitag, den 21.02.2014, 00:21 +0100 schrieb Michael Biebl:
> This might be of interest to you:
> http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/pkg-systemd-maintainers/2014-February/001433.html
>
> So, the cups maintainer is already looking into this. It has to be
> said CUPS is not the most trivial wrt proper systemd support.

Indeed, that addresses my question. Updating to CUPS package 1.7.1-6,
which includes these changes, `systemd-analyze plot` suggests that
`cups-browsed.service` now only takes 33 ms.

The whole user space supposedly takes around 1.5 s, which I hope will
improve even further in the future. Though the “experienced” time,
meaning until GDM’s login screen was there, was around five seconds.

Thanks,

Paul