[systemd-devel] [RFC] networkd/udev: match on 'ethernet' devices

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 3 18:32:36 PST 2014

On Sat, Jan 4, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Marcel Holtmann <marcel at holtmann.org> wrote:
> we can easily update ConnMan to handle DEVTYPE= and DEVTYPE=ethernet. That is an easy change and will keep things working. As I explained in the other reply, the main reason for DEVTYPE=<something> is to detect that it is a network device that needs a management entity before it becomes useful.
>
> You also need to check the ARPHRD_ type of an interface to make sure it is actually Ethernet and not just rely on what DEVTYPE= is telling you. We are having the case with Bluetooth right now that you get DEVTYPE=bluetooth, but one of them is Ethernet emulation via BNEP and the other raw IP via 6loWPAN.

So the usecase I see for the DEVTYPE is quite different. I'm simply
interested in using it to let the administrator classify devices in an
intuitive and predictable way, so in this case (I think) we actually
do want to use Type=bluetooth for all bluetooth devices, regardless of
the actual protocols they speak. Also, having DEVTYPE=ethernet set by
the kernel becomes quite useful as there is no 'magic' going on, and
the admin can simply read 'udevadm info' to know whether or not a
given device will match.

Cheers,

Tom