[systemd-devel] .device units are not showing up on git systemd

Umut Tezduyar Lindskog umut.tezduyar at axis.com
Mon Jan 13 01:37:58 PST 2014

Hi,

.device units stopped showing up for me in git systemd since somewhere around mid-december. I have noticed that udevd and even udevadm monitor receives the kernel events but systemd itself never receives them.

Further debugging, I have found out device_dispatch_io() (src/core/device.c) is never being called. It seemed like systemd binary is never aware of kernel events. I have proved this by:

1) strace -p 1
2) udevadm monitor
3) echo add > /sys/devices/platform/elk/net/eth0/uevent
4) Looking at the output of strace, nothing is changed, it is still in epoll_wait.
    Process 1 attached - interrupt to quit
    clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, {1030, 364651245}) = 0
    epoll_wait(4,
5) Looking at udevadm I can see the event being received.
    monitor will print the received events for:
    UDEV - the event which udev sends out after rule processing
    KERNEL - the kernel uevent

    KERNEL[1064.673596] add      /devices/platform/elk/net/eth0 (net)
    UDEV  [1064.983686] add      /devices/platform/elk/net/eth0 (net)

I have asked around in IIRC and seems like no one else is having the same problem. Before I further debug it, I wanted to check if something else might be stealing the epoll events from systemd or  if anyone else has a suggestion.

Our system is an embedded system with linux 3.10. We do not use hwdb.bin.

Thanks