[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd Oops

Greg KH gregkh at linuxfoundation.org
Mon Jan 13 13:59:39 PST 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 04:20:05PM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> I'll have to admit, I don't have a very good understanding of
> systemd/udev. I am using systemd/udev version 208-15.1 on an
> openSuSE-13.1 dist and a 3.4.74 kernel.

3.4?  That's an incompatible thing right there with openSUSE 13.1,
sorry.

> The back trace indicates an out of kernel driver I have to maintain.
> Yet this also indicates "Pid: 361, comm: systemd-udevd" caused the
> Oops. I don't understand this.

I'd blame your driver, as no one can really help you with a tainted
kernel like that, there's not much we can do here, sorry.

What is keeping your driver from being merged into the main kernel tree?

> In any case, this particular driver and systemd/udev (195.x.x) using the
> very same kernel work just fine. Also if I only have a single pci card
> installed this particular driver and systemd/udev version 208-15.1 work
> just fine. It's just when additional pci cards are added I get this
> failure. This particular driver takes a few seconds from the time
> init_module is called to when it creates all its device entries. The
> more pci cards the longer that is. The cards themselves are basically
> loaded and booted before the device entries(192 each) are created. This
> error seems to be occurring during that load and boot process though.

That really sounds like a driver problem, especially given your trace
shows it is failing somewhere.  The udevd PID is probably because udev
loaded your driver.

And userspace shouldn't be able to crash the kernel, so you can't really
blame udev :)

best of luck,

greg k-h