[systemd-devel] systemd-udevd Oops

Greg KH greg at kroah.com
Tue Jan 14 06:31:11 PST 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 07:52:31AM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
> On 01/13/2014 10:20 PM, Cristian RodrÌguez wrote:
> >>
> >> 3.4?  That's an incompatible thing right there with openSUSE 13.1,
> >> sorry.
> >

> > While off-topic for sure, yes, that is bound to cause issues. we might
> > want to force a minimal kernel version in the systemd spec file. most
> > likely the base release number of the kernel used in the particular
> > product, in this case 3.11 "or later" but not "previous".
> >
> > This may not be enforced at runtime though as multiple kernels including
> > older ones can be installed.
>
> Well, the systemd/udev README file from 208-15.1:
>
> REQUIREMENTS:
>         Linux kernel >= 3.0
>           CONFIG_DEVTMPFS
>           CONFIG_CGROUPS (it's OK to disable all controllers)
>           CONFIG_INOTIFY_USER
>           CONFIG_SIGNALFD
>           CONFIG_TIMERFD
>           CONFIG_EPOLL
>           CONFIG_NET
>           CONFIG_SYSFS
>           .
>           .

But that has nothing to do with what openSUSE 13.1 requires.  It does
not support putting an older kernel version on it at all.  If you do so,
you get to keep all of the pieces that you end up with :)

You can almost always put a newer kernel version on a distro, and
openSUSE does support this if you run the Tumbleweed variation, which
handles any needed package updates and other system changes that a newer
kernel sometimes requires.  Fedora does much the same thing with their
releases, providing newer kernel releases over the lifetime of a release
cycle.

good luck,

greg k-h