[systemd-devel] daemon-reload seems racy

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 16 04:28:05 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Colin Guthrie at 14/01/14 13:28 did gyre and gimble:
> 3. Some sort of kernel trigger for me today led it to run two reexecs
> quite quickly and triggered this problem randomly during runtime. This
> *might* have come in via "telinit u" instead. It doesn't appear that the
> kernel actually execs telinit directly but perhaps userspace can react
> on it in some way?

OK, this, it turns out is a result of running prelink via cron.

The prelink package we (Mageia) have is basically the same as the Fedora
one. It has a cronjob which calls "telinit u" but the prelink binary
itself calls "/sbin/init U" which does the same thing, thus two
daemon-reexecs in rapid succession which triggers this bug.

For now I've disabled the "telinit u" call in prelink, but the real
trick would be fixing the bug/race in serialisation :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie