[systemd-devel] consider renaming "-.slice"

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 16 06:27:40 PST 2014

On Thu, 16.01.14 08:33, Holger Schurig (holgerschurig at gmail.com) wrote:

> Please consider renamign "-.slice", because this sucks:
>
> # cd /lib/systemd/system
> # grep -r user@ *
> grep: invalid option -- '.'
> Usage: grep [OPTION]... PATTERN [FILE]...
> Try 'grep --help' for more information.
>

> Yes, I know that I can use "grep -r -- user@ *", but this is just inconvenient.

Well, it's kinda built into the API for now (as pointed out by others),
and it is quite systematic, since "/" simply maps to "-" when turning
cgroup or file system paths into unit names. That also makes the
encoding reversible which we rely on.

I understand that this is inconvenient, but then again, -.slice and
-.mount are not the most frequently used units, so I am not too concerned.

That all said, we could actually change it, and keep compat with an
alias name, however, if we do that, we really should have a very good
reason, and also, we'd need a convincing encoding, that is also obvious,
and reversible, and I see none for that...