[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] 4 commits - .gitignore Makefile.am man/sd_bus_creds_get_pid.xml man/sd_bus_creds_new_from_pid.xml man/sd_bus_error.xml man/sd_bus_label_escape.xml man/sd_bus_message_get_cookie.xml man/sd_bus_new.xml man/sd_bus_open_user.xml man/sd_bus_request_name.xml src/libsystemd src/libsystemd-bus src/libsystemd-dhcp src/libsystemd-rtnl src/systemd TODO

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Jan 16 13:36:47 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Michael Biebl at 16/01/14 18:22 did gyre and gimble:
> 2014/1/16 Kay Sievers <kay at vrfy.org>:

>>> We'd have to make pre-systemd-209 and systemd-209 packages
>>> co-installable (different source package names etc.) to be able to
>>> continue to provide the old version. That is not really fun.
>>
>> Why? The lib is packaged separately, isn't it? What does it have to do
>> with the systemd package?
>
> Packaged separately in the sense that the systemd source package
> builds a libsystemd-daemon0 binary package (among others).
> In systemd v209 we could no longer build such a libsystemd-daemon0
> binary package from the systemd source package.
> We'd have to introduce a separate source package (based on systemd pre
> 209) named differently then systemd if we want to be able to continue
> to build libsystemd-daemon0.

Could we not provide a libsystemd-daemon.so.0 that is just a stub and
links to libsystemd.so.X and just calls the functions therein? That way
the API could still be provided with the old lib (and old .pc files too)
until such times as everything is updated. I would presume the name
mangling would allow for this to work OK with some clever tricks here
and there... (correctly me if I'm wrong)

This would surely be the nicest way to handle things during any
transition phase and could be turned off with a configure switch?

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
gmane(at)colin.guthr.ie