[systemd-devel] [systemd-commits] 7 commits - man/systemd-networkd.service.xml src/libsystemd src/network src/systemd units/systemd-networkd.service.in

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 17 09:09:25 PST 2014

On Fri, 17.01.14 17:57, Kay Sievers (kay at vrfy.org) wrote:

> Simple reason is that it is too broken to be maintained by systemd
> tools. We also do not ship any default network config, networkd is
> just dead by default.
>
> We should not even start touching /etc/resolv.conf, we would break it
> later anyway, and should avoid all that right from the beginning.
>
> It is not a reasonable technology to carry on or support like
> /etc/fstab. /etc/resolv.conf should entirely be admin territory like
> /etc/hosts, and will win over all other settings. No tool should
> mangle it, especially when it's not there.
>
> It is actually the goal to get rid of it, not to create it.

I am pretty sure that systemd upstream shouldn't create the link, but
I'd expect that the systemd RPM postinst scriplet would create it, if
/etc/resolv.conf doesn't exist yet.

I mean, this is really something where distros should decide what they
want, but we shouldn't push them too hard by encoding something in "make
install", since this is compat stuff...