[systemd-devel] systemd hangs after Welcome message when LogLevel=debug

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 17 12:17:04 PST 2014

On Tue, 14.01.14 13:31, Barry Scott (barry.scott at onelan.co.uk) wrote:

> systemd-208-9.fc20.x86_64
>
> We have been porting a working configuration from fedora 19 to fedora 20.
> After systemd prints the Welcome message it then hangs.

What do you mean by "hangs"? Is it just the output that doesn't continue
anymore or does the entire system lock up?

Note that during really early boot the journal is not available yet,
which means we can only log to kmsg then (and thus the
console). However, as soon as the journal is available we then start
logging directly to the journal. This might appear from the outside as
if only during the first part of the boot output is generated if you
only look at the console.

You can use LogTarget=kmsg to redirect output to kmsg unconditionally,
so that you get everything in kmsg and thus the console.