[systemd-devel] systemd hangs after Welcome message when LogLevel=debug

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 03:22:02 PST 2014

On Fri 17 Jan 2014 21:17:04 Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 14.01.14 13:31, Barry Scott (barry.scott at onelan.co.uk) wrote:
> > systemd-208-9.fc20.x86_64
> >
> > We have been porting a working configuration from fedora 19 to fedora 20.
> > After systemd prints the Welcome message it then hangs.
>
> What do you mean by "hangs"? Is it just the output that doesn't continue
> anymore or does the entire system lock up?

After a few minutes nothing is output after the Welcome message.
No evidence that any unit start.

> Note that during really early boot the journal is not available yet,
> which means we can only log to kmsg then (and thus the
> console). However, as soon as the journal is available we then start
> logging directly to the journal. This might appear from the outside as
> if only during the first part of the boot output is generated if you
> only look at the console.

Understood and recall that I'm porting from F19 to F20 and this
works in F19.

With my engineer hat on I wonder why info messages can be output but not one
debug message?

> You can use LogTarget=kmsg to redirect output to kmsg unconditionally,
> so that you get everything in kmsg and thus the console.

And by using the kernel option log_buf_len=128M we can make sure all the
messages are kept.

Barry