[systemd-devel] systemd hangs after Welcome message when LogLevel=debug

Barry Scott barry.scott at onelan.co.uk
Mon Jan 20 05:42:38 PST 2014

I drafted this last week, sorry for the delay.

On Wed 15 Jan 2014 16:44:21 Holger Schurig wrote:
> Educated guess (!)
>
> With LogLevel=debug, you generate huge amounts of output.

With LogTarget=syslog-or-kmsg and kernel not quiet I would expect to see the
first few debug messages before it hung up. But nothing appears.

> With DefaultStandardOutput=syslog, you're asking systemd to send it's
> output to syslog.
>
> But while systemd is starting your system the syslog might not be
> ready. Probably systemd has some buffer, where it buffers the output.
> Once syslog becomes available, it will be fed with the buffer's
> contents first. If the output is small enought, as with LogLevel=info,
> this actually works. But when you generate gobs of output, the buffer
> will overflow and the output routine will wait until the buffer get's
> emptied, which it never will ...
>
> So, you might try to use DefaultStandardOutput=syslog-or-kmsg or
> DefaultStandardOutput=journal instead. The latter will eventually also
> send the output to syslog, which is why it's a default.

I guess you are saying that because all output must go to syslog and syslog is
not running that systemd will hang. But why does the configuration work if
LogLevel=info in that case?

Barry