[systemd-devel] Is masking an error?

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jan 21 01:01:14 PST 2014

Am 21.01.2014 09:33, schrieb Holger Schurig:
> on my systemd v208 + many patches from the Fedora 21 source RPM i get
> TWO error messages in my journal when I login as root:
>
> 09:27:58 systemd-logind[118]: Failed to start unit user at 0.service:
> Unit user at 0.service failed to load: No such file or directory.
> 09:27:58 systemd-logind[118]: Failed to start user service: Unit
> user at 0.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Since logind explicitly creates a "start" job for user at 0.service, this
is an error, since the service does not exist.

> But it was my decision as an admin to disable user sessions, by doing
> "ln -s /dev/null /etc/systemd/systemd/user at .service". In my case
> systemd runs in embedded devices and no one would use use user service
> files anyway -> tightly controlled environment.

In such a case, wouldn't it be better to disable logind entirely (or
even trim down the systemd installation to not include it)? Since you
are not interested in user sessions, you need no resource control for
user sessions. You don't need suspend/hibernate/shutdown/reboot for
users either. Nor do you need configuration of device ACLs.

So, I'd mask systemd-logind.service and remove pam_systemd.so from the
PAM configuration (I think it's set so that failure is ignored anyway,
but removing it should still be safer).