[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 09:18:44 PST 2014

2014/1/24 Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie>:
> 'Twas brillig, and Tom Horsley at 24/01/14 15:44 did gyre and gimble:
>>> However, something like that can never be the default, we need to give
>>> services the chance to shut down cleanly and in the right order.
>>
>> I didn't ask for any change to any default, I just asked for
>> users to be able to make the shutdown process proceed when
>> they have more information than systemd has about the chances
>> of success of some random stop job.
>>
>> Without that, what you *will* get is people pulling the
>> power plug which has a vastly greater chance of screwing up
>> the system than not waiting for a single stop job.
>
> Perhaps just displaying the timeout would be useful here.

Making the shutdown more verbose in such a situation would imho be a
good idea, showing a countdown or something like that with a note for
which service systemd is currently waiting to be shutdown.

I completely agree with Tom here: In situations where on shutdown (or
boot for that matter) the system blocks for longer then 30-60 secs and
no feedback at all most people will simply assume the system got stuck
and do power-reset.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?