[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Jan 24 09:43:16 PST 2014

On Fri, 24.01.14 17:10, Colin Guthrie (gmane at colin.guthr.ie) wrote:

> 'Twas brillig, and Tom Horsley at 24/01/14 15:44 did gyre and gimble:
> >> However, something like that can never be the default, we need to give
> >> services the chance to shut down cleanly and in the right order.
> >
> > I didn't ask for any change to any default, I just asked for
> > users to be able to make the shutdown process proceed when
> > they have more information than systemd has about the chances
> > of success of some random stop job.
> >
> > Without that, what you *will* get is people pulling the
> > power plug which has a vastly greater chance of screwing up
> > the system than not waiting for a single stop job.
>
> Perhaps just displaying the timeout would be useful here.

We do that. Michal's "eye of sauron" animation is shown as soon as
something blocks too long, and the name of the unit we are waiting for
is shown.

> For me personally, the NFS timeout is a proper pain the backside. A
> little more cleverness there would be appreciated. e.g. can we not just
> do lazy umounts by default for NFS (or just e.g. a 5s timeout max on the
> regular NFS umount)? Perhaps this isn't possible in the umount loop - or
> at least not possible cleanly...

We used to do that in the final umount loop. But that doesn't really
work, since the loop relies that busy file systems return EBUSY if they
are busy...

Mounts need proper depdendency so that we cann unmount them. THere's no
way around that really...