[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Sat Jan 25 06:06:55 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 24/01/14 17:53 did gyre and gimble:

>>> We do that. Michal's "eye of sauron" animation is shown as soon as
>>> something blocks too long, and the name of the unit we are waiting for
>>> is shown.
>>
>> but there is nothing saying how long the timeout remains
>> "displaying the timeout" means a value in seconds
>
> That delay is set to 5s.

What was meant here was that the *user* is not shown for how long the
"cylon" animation will play before systemd gives up and gets aggressive.

So there is a 5s timeout before displaying that, but all it does is tell
you how many jobs are waiting and not how long it's going to wait for them.

If the user sits and watches that animation for 20s they'll likely think
"ahh well this is stuck" and yank the cord, not knowing that things will
be done cleanly if they just wait another 10s.

If we displayed a timeout clock here too, users would be more willing to
wait.

Col

--

Colin Guthrie