[systemd-devel] Allow stop jobs to be killed during shutdown

Dominique Michel dominique.michel at vtxnet.ch
Sat Jan 25 07:41:08 PST 2014

Le Sat, 25 Jan 2014 14:06:55 +0000,
Colin Guthrie <gmane at colin.guthr.ie> a écrit :

> 'Twas brillig, and Lennart Poettering at 24/01/14 17:53 did gyre and
> gimble:

> >> but there is nothing saying how long the timeout remains
> >> "displaying the timeout" means a value in seconds
> >
> > That delay is set to 5s.
>
> What was meant here was that the *user* is not shown for how long the
> "cylon" animation will play before systemd gives up and gets
> aggressive.
>
> So there is a 5s timeout before displaying that, but all it does is
> tell you how many jobs are waiting and not how long it's going to
> wait for them.
>
> If the user sits and watches that animation for 20s they'll likely
> think "ahh well this is stuck" and yank the cord, not knowing that
> things will be done cleanly if they just wait another 10s.
I fully agree. At my work, 20s are already a lot of time when it is
time to go.

> If we displayed a timeout clock here too, users would be more willing
> to wait.
It would also be nice to show which process systemd is waiting for,
together with something like
	Press Ctrl+C to abort and continue

Most important is the possibility to abort the wait and continue,
because I am sure some peoples I know will just think "What is this
f. s." and yank the cord anyway.

Dominique