[systemd-devel] How can this be done with systemd

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Mon Jan 27 02:59:50 PST 2014

'Twas brillig, and Roelof Wobben at 25/01/14 17:44 did gyre and gimble:

> From: rwobben at hotmail.com
> To: zbyszek at in.waw.pl
> CC: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
> Subject: RE: [systemd-devel] How can this be done with systemd
> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:12:27 +0000
>

>> Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 16:05:29 +0100
>> From: zbyszek at in.waw.pl
>> To: rwobben at hotmail.com
>> CC: systemd-devel at lists.freedesktop.org
>> Subject: Re: [systemd-devel] How can this be done with systemd
>>
>> On Sat, Jan 25, 2014 at 09:29:18AM +0000, Roelof Wobben wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I try to port systemd to a live distro.
>> > The biggest problem is that they work with modules.
>> >
>> > So before the start up can be processed all the modules needs to
>> > be packed out and copied to memory.
>> systemd-modules-load.service(8) will load the modules, but of course
>> won't unpack them. You'll have to do it yourself. Probably adding
>> a separate .service with DefaultDependencies=no,
> Before=systemd-modules-load.service,
>> and installed as wanted by systemd-modules-load.service which
>> unpacks the modules is the way to do it.
>>
>> Zbyszek
>
>  I look at systemd-modules-load.service(8) but that is for kernel modules.
> The modules I talk about are a sort of container which contains software
> like kernel.xzm which contains all the directories and files of the
> kernel in use.
>
> Anyone a out-of-the-box idea how to solve this ?

If you're dealing with things like UnionFS and AusFS and such like, then
I'd recommend actually doing all this *before* systemd.

For our live CDs, we use a dracut module to do the unionfs setup and
then when things are transitioned over systemd can work happily.

http://svnweb.mageia.org/packages/cauldron/dracut/current/SOURCES/0513-mgalive-A-module-to-mount-Mageia-Live-media.patch?view=markup

(note there is also upstream dracut support for live-media too. I didn't
write the above module and I've not really had time to try and
consolidate it with the usptream support).

Col

Col

--

Colin Guthrie