[systemd-devel] networkd config for dummy0 interface

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Jul 2 00:32:50 PDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 8:31 AM, Matthias Schiffer
<mschiffer at universe-factory.net> wrote:
> I don't think it's always possible to set the address when an interface
> is created; one example would be interfaces that aren't created
> explicitly, but as a side effect (I'm thinking of things like the peer
> side of a veth pair; batman-adv had similar behaviour until about 1 year
> ago).
>
> For such devices, udev rules are the only way to ensure link parameters
> are set before udev tells the rest of the systems the device is ready.
> Adding support for such devices in .link units would make things a lot
> nicer.

If we have to, we have to. However, I'd like to see a really
compelling usecase first (something that could not be done better by
fixing other software).

> An alternative would be adding support to the kernel for setting the
> link parameters of all such devices at creation time. I have no idea if
> this would be worth the effort, or even possible for all kinds of devices...

Hm, what kinds of devices cannot set ifname/macaddress at creation
time? veth pairs certainly can (but the creator must obviously
actually do it, both networkd and nspawn does this).

Cheers,

Tom