[systemd-devel] Misleading udev error messages regarding virtual interfaces

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jul 3 04:46:53 PDT 2014

On Wed, 02.07.14 11:23, Leonid Isaev (lisaev at umail.iu.edu) wrote:

> > I have improved the error message in git to print the actual error that
> > is happening. This should make it easier to figure out what is going
> > wrong.
>
> Thanks!

it would be good to know what the precise error output is you get now
with this new change...

> > Most likely you have some .link file lying around that matches the
> > bridge or veth device you are creating, which causes this error.
>
> No, the only .link file in my system is the vanilla
> /usr/lib/systemd/network/99-default.link. Does it match all possible
> interfaces now?
>
> The bridge is set up only via the above .netdev/.network files. The vethXXXXXX
> interface (with random XXXXXX) is created dynamically by the lxc tools...

Hmm, is it possible that the udev rules run in parallel with the users
of these devices? and the udev rules try to rename stuff while the
device is already busy?

I figure this goes away as soon as the kernel tells userspace how the
names of interfaces were generated, so that udev avoids renaming
interfaces that have been named already when they were created...