[systemd-devel] using /dev/root in fstab

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 7 03:29:21 PDT 2014

On Mon, 07.07.14 12:29, microcai (microcai at fedoraproject.org) wrote:

>  a long ago, /dev/root is an symblic to real root device. no matter it is on
> NFS or HDD, we can use
>
> /dev/root / auto defaults     0 0
>
> in fstab to mount / as readwrite.
>
> recently, I recall this old feature, and tryed to use it, but the system
> failed to boot, waiting for /dev/root that never come up.
>
> how to bring back the good old feature that re-use the root device assigned on
> kernel command line ?

/dev/root is dead, and it will never come back. It's not compatible with
modern file systems, such as btrfs, which return the major device ID as
0, because they are not backed by a single block device, but possibly
multiple.

Remounts don#t really care about the backing device you specify, you can
make something up, for example just type "ROOT", or so...