[systemd-devel] using /dev/root in fstab

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 7 05:08:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, 07.07.14 14:41, Samuli Suominen (ssuominen at gentoo.org) wrote:

> On 07/07/14 14:32, Michael Biebl wrote:
> >> We restore the /dev/root symlink in Gentoo same way Debian is restoring
> >> it on non-systemd
> > This has been removed from Debian's udev package a while ago
> >

> > http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-systemd/systemd.git;a=commit;h=c4671ce8317acb765279d0c25011d75d94b7b8ef
>
> Too bad Grub 1's grub-install script uses /dev/root by default and not
> everyone has migrated to Grub 2,
> also Quota's quotacheck command uses /dev/root on XFS file systems, also
> 'nilfs-utils' uses /dev/root,
> also e2fsprogs e4defrag still uses /dev/root
>
> If even e2fsprogs and quota would be fixed from those, I'd be
> considering dropping it too
> But, they are broken in every distribution

Well, Fedora hasn't been shipping that symlink for a long time, and as
Michael points out Debian isn't doing that either. And to my knowlegde
there's nothing that really broke so far.

I find your strategy of saying "hey, let's pretend the broken scheme
works, so that I don't have to look into things" pretty weird.

Just drop the /dev/root symlink. And if things break, fix them. Just
sticking the head in the sand and singing lalala won't do anybody good.

But anyway, you are maintaining this in Gentoo, I am not...