[systemd-devel] systemd-sysusers and gshadow

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Mon Jul 7 08:40:42 PDT 2014

On Mon, 07.07.14 11:08, Leonid Isaev (lisaev at umail.iu.edu) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 	Thanks for the explanation...
>
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 12:26:03PM +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > I wasn#t aware of grpck, and quite frankly  don't think it makes much
> > sense, what the tool is doing.
>
> Why? Checking syntax can never hurt...

Well, I am not opposed to that. I am just saying that otherwise the
current logic so nicely considers an account with a missing counterpart
in /etc/shadow disabled with no way to log in, which is exactly what we
want here. However, grpck tool breaks that...

> > > Does it mean that on each update, a package manager should touch
> > > /etc/.updated?
> >
> > Hmm? No. A package manager should touch /usr after having done its work.
>
> Just to see if I understand: this would mean that ConditionNeedsUpdate = .true.
> for /etc, no? So, we _do_ want systemd-sysusers.service, ldconfig.service, et
> al. to run on next boot after an update?

Well, the idea is that they are NOPs if they already ran from postinst...