[systemd-devel] Extending os-release

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 13:51:47 PDT 2014

On 07/07/2014 08:38 PM, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 07, 2014 at 08:02:19PM +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>>> Yeah, this sort of info should probably not go in /etc/os-release (we
>>> are moving that to /usr/lib/os-release, which should make it clearer
>>> that this is really static info given by the distro, rather than
>>> config stuff for the admin).
>> Right it's an better fit there and accommodates "chassis=" nicely as in...|
>>
>> CHASSIS=server
>> Environment=Production||||
> s/Environment/ENVIRONMENT/
>
> I'd like to see ANSI_COLOR in machine-info too. Maybe systemd (or something
> else) could generate one randomly when populating machine-info. Then
> a suitable shell prompt could use that.

I had pinged Karel Zak on G+ since I had noticed he has been working on
bringing consistency in terminal colorized output in the core/baseOS,
with the idea and question if each environment could have an different
terminal colour profile associated with it as in:

ENVIRONMENT=Development could be associated with green terminal colour
profile

ENVIRONMENT=Staging could be associated with yellow terminal colour profile

ENVIRONMENT=Production could be associated with red terminal colour profile

No environment entry would just use the system defaults.

So when an administrator logs into a server he would immediately know if
he was operating on development server or an production server based on
the terminal colour profile he was greeted with when he logged in.

JBG