[systemd-devel] need help implementing a special behaviour

Steffen Sledz sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Tue Jul 8 05:37:19 PDT 2014

On 08.07.2014 14:22, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Tue, 08.07.14 14:11, Steffen Sledz (sledz at dresearch-fe.de) wrote:
>> There is one more open question. We did not found a *clear* definition
>> (e.g. a state diagram) of all the states a unit can have.
>
> Yeah, I tried to avoid documenting this in too much detail, since we
> wanted to have the freedom to still alter the state machine if we need
> to.
>
>> e.g. What is the criteria for a service to change from *activating* to *active/started*?
>
> That depends on the service Type= you have chosen, and whether you have
> ExecStartPre= and/or ExecStartPost= commands for your service. "Active"
> is entered basically after everything needed to start up a service is
> executed plus the service has reported back that it is up. "Everything
> needed" means ExecStartPre= and ExecStartPost= having been executed. And
> the "reporting back" refers to the notification logic you chose with
> Type=. See systemd.service(5) for more information about that.
>
> Hope that makes some sense?

Also this manpage is not fully clear. E.g. if we have to *simple* services A and B with an After= between them.

What is the criteria that A changes from *activating* to *active* and B can start?

--
DResearch Fahrzeugelektronik GmbH
Otto-Schmirgal-Str. 3, 10319 Berlin, Germany
Tel: +49 30 515932-237 mailto:sledz at dresearch-fe.de
Fax: +49 30 515932-299
Geschäftsführer: Dr. Michael Weber, Werner Mögle;
Amtsgericht Berlin Charlottenburg; HRB 130120 B;
Ust.-IDNr. DE273952058