[systemd-devel] Extending machine-info to include machine roles

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 02:48:07 PDT 2014

On 07/09/2014 08:33 AM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson"
>
>> If we manage to do that, introduce "rolefulfilment=" in units which we
>> would define those standardized predefined set of roles as in for
>> httpd.service we might have rolefulfilment=web server, for postgresql,
>> rolefulfilment=database server etc.  so you could list/query etc the
>> machine primary role and at the same time list the daemon/service who
>> fulfills that role
> It's not useful to know that a machine is a database server.  It's
> useful to know if it's a postgres server or a mysql server or an oracle
> server, be it for monitoring or for connecting to it.

Yes it is and if you dont see the benefits of knowing the roles of your
machine or containers and using roles in your infrastructure I cannot
help you.

Making statement like this just because they might not be useful to your
usecase scenario or workflow is simply silly.

My best advice to you if this would get implement is simply dont use roles.

JBG