[systemd-devel] networkd with radv advertised prefixes

brane2 brankob at s5tehnika.net
Thu Jul 10 02:11:31 PDT 2014

Dne 10. 07. 2014 08:14, piše brane2:
> Dne 09. 07. 2014 17:06, piše Tom Gundersen:
>> On Wed, Jul 9, 2014 at 4:19 PM, Vasiliy Tolstov <v.tolstov at selfip.ru>
>> wrote:
>>> As i see, networkd now able to do dhcpv6, what about configuring
>>> interfaces to accept radv messages and configure it interfaces? What i
>>> need to do on systemd-networkd side?
>> Currently that is not supported, but it is definitely something we
>> want. So if you are interested in extending our libraries to cover
>> this usecase, that would be awesome.
>
> I don't want to inject noise in signal of your conversation, but
> doesnt kernel itself do client side of ipv6 router
> solicitation/advertisement ?
>
> As I understood it, whole point of ra is to be so simple so that it
> doesn't need any special SW component on the client side and to be
> able to
> initialize automatically within interface activation.
>
> Branko

Two more points:

1. Since RA mechanism is automatic - without userland involvement, it
would be nice to have an option to either deactivate ( presumably within
kernel option line) or to remove such adress from adapter if needed.
Without this, malevolent or misconfigured node within network could do
some damage on the local segment.

2. dhcpv6 is kind of stupid. It should be intelligent, but amongst all
those options it has no option for client's or network list with gateway
for each network. So, without tricks, you get one /64 span and you are
supposed to use it for ONE node just for configuration convenience. That
is usually solved by defining user-set options ( ipv6-netmask etc) on
server and client side and using hooks on dhclient to execute small
scripts that set ip/mask themselves.

Version 215 doesn't have docs for dhcpv6, so this is probably just in
latest dev version I can't check, but just in case am asking for
equivalent functionality here.
Otherwise, such dhcpv6 would be useless for most clients...