[systemd-devel] Polkit and systemd D-Bus API

Stef Walter stef at thewalter.net
Tue Jul 15 04:35:43 PDT 2014

Cockpit, OpenLMI, and others want to use the systemd D-Bus API to manage
system services/sockets etc. In addition we use polkit to authorize
users and allow people to escalate privileges as needed.

It seems that the D-Bus API of systemd doesn't support polkit:

http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/dbus/

So currently only root users can call this D-Bus API.

Is the concept here that we write our own wrapper daemon (something like
systemd-polkit-verifyd) that listens on a different bus name and
authorizes with polkit before forwarding messages to systemd?

Cheers,

Stef

stef at thewalter.net
http://stef.thewalter.net