[systemd-devel] 70-uaccess.rules: add new ID_SDR_HW?

Alick Zhao alick9188 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 04:52:54 PDT 2014

On 07/15/2014 04:10 PM, Kay Sievers wrote:

>>> Right, we try to avoid abbreviations which do not explain themselves.
>>>

>> So maybe ID_SOFTWARE_RADIO ?
>
> Hmm, SDR is more a term for a generic technology than for a device
> class. To me it does not really sound like an administrator would know
> what this is.
>
> What exactly is the device or subsystem you want to make accessible to
> locally logged-in users only?

Initially it is bladeRF, but many more are of interest: USRP, rtl-sdr,
HackRF, ... [1]

I agree an administrator might not know what SDR is, since it is
currently still not widely known, and makes sense only for amateurs
and researchers. But as a SDR fan, I see many new SDR peripherals
are created recently, and expect to see more. So a generic ID seems
reasonable to me.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_software-defined_radios

--
Alick