[systemd-devel] Unit to test if a domain is reachable

Moviuro moviuro at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 03:41:37 PDT 2014

On Thursday 17 July 2014 12:12:22 you wrote:
> Why not just use network-online.target?
> http://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.special.html#network
> -online.target
o If it succeeds, the unit that needs to reach %i gets launched and my
reachable-retry@ *does not* enter SUCCESS or whatever "good" state you can
think of: it just stays asleep until someone else wants to recheck later if
the domain is still reachable (e.g. domain goes down, my ISP goes crazy, I
suspend my computer...).

network-online.target does not fulfill these requirements. It stays in
"SUCCESS" across suspend/resume cycles. Therefore, it is *not* a correct
indicator.
--
Moviuro