[systemd-devel] sysusers and login.defs checks

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Wed Jul 23 11:54:32 PDT 2014

On 23/07/14 18:31, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> As a side effect this would actually even allow us to be closer to
> FEdora's current bheaviour, since it reserves UIDs < 200 for static
> assignment, which we could then easily exclude from theis logic, too.

Debian's uid/gid ranges for comparison, if it helps:
<https://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-opersys.html#s9.2>
I think Ubuntu inherits those too, they generally follow Debian policy
if they have no reason not to.

(0-99 system users statically allocated by Debian and normally
pre-created, 100-999 dynamically allocated system users, 1000-59999
dynamically allocated real users, 6000-64999 statically allocated by
Debian but only created on demand, 65000-65533 reserved, 65534
statically allocated as nobody, 65535 reserved because it is or was once
(uid_t)(-1); changing the boundary between the dynamically allocated
ranges in login.defs is best-effort-supported for the benefit of people
whose site-wide real users start at 500 or whatever.)