[systemd-devel] Changing configurations with networkd

Michael Olbrich m.olbrich at pengutronix.de
Fri Jul 25 02:19:47 PDT 2014

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 11:00:27AM +0200, Brendan Hide wrote:
> On 24/07/14 14:05, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> >[snip]
> >>... you already are getting
> >>assigned the correct IP address at first, and then only later does
> >>this change. What is causing your DHCP server to send out a different
> >>IP address later on, I don't know, but it seems unlikely that this is
> >>anything we can fix in the client.
> >I have my doubts as well here. Seems like a misconfigured DHCP server.
>
> I feel like I'm flogging a dead horse - on the other hand it is
> twitching just that little bit more than I'm comfortable with. ;)
>
> Since Michael specified that he has configured the DHCP lease to
> last only 10 minutes, it stands to reason that he is getting the new
> *different* IP address after ten minutes. This time period is highly
> unusual - but for testing purposes appropriate. So far there is
> nothing to suggest that the DHCP server is doing anything wrong.
>
> Michael, can you confirm the above?

Not quite. When networkd sends a request to renew the address, then I keep
the same address. However, when networkd is restarted it starts with a
DHCP discover.
Most of the time I still get the same address, but occasionally I get a new
one. I'm not sure what triggers this. It feels like the whole
discover/ofer/request/ack sequence takes longer for a new address, but I'vv
not measured this.

Michael