[systemd-devel] Support for pre-restart check

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 04:26:38 PDT 2014

On 07/30/2014 10:22 AM, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> while looking at how to convert sysvinit scripts to service files in
> Debian, I noticed that some scripts do an additional sanity check during
> the restart action. That is, they run an extra command to validate the
> configuration and only restart the service on success.
>
> Systemd doesn't seem to provide such an option so far. Would you think
> this is something one would like to see? If yes, what about the
> following idea:
>
> Add an ExecRestartPre option in the [Service] section. These commands
> are executed when a restart is requested, before the service is stopped.
> If they fail, the restart is aborted with an error.

Re-sending to list due to simple clicking reply not reply-list mistake.

This has been discussed before and check the archive for that discussion
but the bottom line is that this is not needed we already have
ExecStartPre=, ExecStartPost=, ExecStop=, ExecStopPost=, or ExecReload=
which cover those usecases

JBG