[systemd-devel] Support for pre-restart check

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 05:19:24 PDT 2014

> On Wed, 30.07.14 12:22, Ansgar Burchardt (ansgar at debian.org) wrote:
>
>> >Hi,
>> >
>> >while looking at how to convert sysvinit scripts to service files in
>> >Debian, I noticed that some scripts do an additional sanity check during
>> >the restart action. That is, they run an extra command to validate the
>> >configuration and only restart the service on success.
>> >
>> >Systemd doesn't seem to provide such an option so far. Would you think
>> >this is something one would like to see? If yes, what about the
>> >following idea:
>> >
>> >Add an ExecRestartPre option in the [Service] section. These commands
>> >are executed when a restart is requested, before the service is stopped.
>> >If they fail, the restart is aborted with an error.
> This has been a TODO item since a long time. The usecase seems valid.

We discussed this either here on the mailinglist, in a bug report in
bz.rh or in one of the hackfest and it's on that TODO list is there
because in the beginning I thought this was required but
after we discussed this the behaviour and after going through the more
or less all of the legacy sysv initscripts in Fedora simply using
ExecStartPre and ExecStop covered this but by all means introduce this
if you no longer think that is the case.

JBG