[systemd-devel] Support for pre-restart check

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Wed Jul 30 05:54:16 PDT 2014

Am 30.07.2014 14:35, schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 07/30/2014 12:02 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:
>> they don't
>
> Perhaps not in your world which seems to differ from many

don't jump on that personal level

if you would have *read* really what you respond to and not
stop at the first two words you would realize the difference
without personal attacks - it's not a matter of worlds, it's
a *technical fact*

> but in the world that the guy that went through and migrated around 800
> legacy sysv initscript you want the exact same "check" run before the
> service is started and we already cover that with "ExecStartPre="

nobody takes "ExecStartPre" away from you by add "ExecStopPre"

BTW:
what do you gain by that checkj in "ExecStartPre"?
ExecStart would fail anyways, so the service fails with or without

the topic is about something like "ExecStopPre", what you can achieve
with it and not about which hero migrated how much sysv initscripts

> Ansgar Burchardt will need to post the initscript he's migrating so we can
> see if it actually provides an valid usecase to implement this I would
> be very surprised if it actually did...

step beside your migration consideration and come back to a generic level
by only consider migrations you could remove 80% of all options in systemd.exec

that below could be httpd and that's useful for a lot of other services
by just have the option to call a helper saying "you don't stop me with
the current environment because of XYZ you won't be able to start me again"

in case of "httpd" all what you need exists
for other services it could be implemented if there is a call

frankly that could be even useful outside the distribution world
for sanity checks implemented by the local administrator

Type=simple
ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/apachectl -t
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -D FOREGROUND
ExecStopPre=/usr/sbin/apachectl -t
ExecReload=/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS -k graceful